Thursday, March 31, 2011

Kenli's first birthday (February 18)


I can't believe it's already been one year since this sweet little girl came into this world. Time really flies by. When she was first born she wouldn't nurse well so I had to use a shield in order for her to latch on. I thought she was getting milk fine. She wouldn't fuss about being hungry or anything (she didn't have the strength to). We went in for her 2 week check up and she had lost weight. The doctor was very concerned about it and told me to supplement with formula. This was very hard for me to hear. I cried and cried. I had to make a decision on what was best for her. I ended up pumping that night and giving her a bottle and she gulped it down like it was the first time she had eaten since birth! Poor baby was starving! It was then that I figured out that she wasn't able to get anything to come out of the shield! So I then tried again to get her to latch on and she wouldn't. I DID NOT want to use a bottle! So, I had someone else watching the other kids on this day, and I just spent the day with her skin to skin in bed. I tried again to get her to nurse and she wouldn't latch on.....so I begin to pray. God is so amazing and faithful. I prayed with all of my heart and soul that she would latch on and stay on. When I finished that prayer, she immediately latched on and nursed for a full 20 min!!! It gave me chill bumps. I was so happy I was crying. She finally latched on to me for the first time at 2 weeks old :) For the following couple of weeks I ate very "healthy fatty" foods so she would gain some weight and it worked! We went back to the doctor a week later and she had put on almost a whole pound. Now, this sweet baby girl is 13 months old and still LOVES to nurse, quit often!

No comments:

Post a Comment